My love of Elephants dates back to my childhood. I can't pin point the exact moment, but I've had this amazing connection to this beautiful creature for as long as I can remember - so much so that it is my one and only tattoo. (Earmuffs, Mom!) I may (or may not) regret the tattoo, but my awe of the Elephant continues to grow. Some interesting facts about Elephants that you may not know
- Elephants can swim. They use their trunks like a snorkel
- Elephants can recognize themselves in a mirror
- Elephants purr like cats as a way of communicating
- Elephants grieve and understand loss
- Elephants are social and care for each other. They nurse the sick and as a group,care for the young.
- Elephants do not like peanuts ( but I have seen one eat an IPhone)
- Baby Elephants will suck on their trunks the way human children suck on their thumbs
- Elephants can and love to paint.
Meet Hong, an Elephant at a Sanctuary in Thailand that loves to paint. One of her favorite things to paint is Elephants showing that they really do recognize themselves and other Elephants.
WATCH HONG THE ELEPHANT PAINT